Monday, October 10, 2011

Getting Ready

Hey y'all!

I decided to start a blog because I am moving from the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas to Homer, Alaska at the beginning of November!! I figured that this would be the best way to update my family and friends with what's going on up north. So I will try my best to keep up with it :)

So I took a job working for the Office of Children's Services in Homer as a Social Worker and I am very excited about the position. It will be a lot like CPS in Texas except fewer cases and better pay! Taking this position has been a big leap of faith for me and there are days when I wonder what the heck I have gotten myself into. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I know that I will always have a safe place to land.

Why Alaska?

The common question that I get is "why did you pick Alaska?" I always answer it differently but I think the main reason is that I chose it because it was completely different from Texas. Maybe it was this dry, disgustingly hot summer we just endured but something about living on the coast and having a background of mountains and green sounds so appealing. Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE TEXAS and it will always be my home. But I am young and do not have any attachments holding me down from doing something crazy such as moving 4000+ miles from home. I also get asked why didn't I chose to live in another county and my answer to that is that I love living in the United States and I love visiting other countries. It is my goal to see most of the world before I die, but I always want to live in the good ole USA. I will miss everyone incredibly and I will let anyone who wants to visit stay with me :)

So yes, I am used to "Texas snow", I have only one pair of boots and they are heels, and I have never lived in a town that does not have a Walmart, but it is an adventure. And it is the adventure that I crave. 
 
Love, Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment