So mom and I are sitting here in the local McDonald's soaking up all the internet access we can! I found out when I got here that my landlords only have dial up and and DSL does not extend out to the house that I am staying in. BUMMER! But my awesome computer tecky dad is on the hunt for a viable option for me! So until that happens, McDonald's may be a morning ritual.
Update on the last couple days**
Mom and I spent the first night in Alaska in Anchorage and woke up and did a little shopping. About mid-day we went and bought my new car!! I got a 2010 Red Ford Escape and I looooove it! I feel like I finally have a grown up car! We drove off the car lot and pretty much immediately headed south to Homer. The drive on the highway was gorgeous but nerve racking for me (a Texas girl who has never driven far in snow or ice). It took us about 4 1/2 hours to get to Homer but that was probably because on average I was going about 10 mph under the speed limit! Haha! I met my landlords and we started unpacking my apartment. The 6 boxes that I had FedExed were sitting waiting for me when we got there. Oh and Merry Christmas to me because mom and dad bought me a Kuerig coffee maker as an early Christmas gift! Yay! Yesterday we woke up and had breakfast at a cute diner called the Duncan House and then went exploring. There are two bookstores in town and we checked out both of them. I am in love with the Old Inlet Bookstore. It is a tiny two story house that is stuffed full of used books and I think it is my dream store. There are piles and piles of books! I bought a vintage copy of Rebecca (my favorite book) that was printed in the 40's for only $6! I am in love. Later that night mom and I went to the local movie theater and saw Moneyball. The theater only plays 2 movies at a time. The movie was good but the best part of the whole experience was the lady who had fallen asleep in the row in front of us and was snoring loudly!
Today mom and I are headed to Kenai, Ak. It is a town about an hour north and it holds the closest Walmart. There is a Safeway here but it is kind of expensive (like a Tom Thumb in DFW) and there are several things I realized I needed while I was unpacking. I hope to finalize my vehicle purchase and figure out the whole internet ordeal today too. Oh and something else we Texans do not think about getting... a block heater for your engine. When we got in the car this morning, the temperature was 18 degrees... Eek!! And it is only getting colder :)
Yayyy, Lauren! My company has a store in Kenai! Did you see a sign for National Oilwell Varco? So excited that we will probably spend most of our time in the Old Inlet bookstore or chillaxin', reading our books at your place! :)
ReplyDelete